Wednesday, August 26, 2009

More Bear Sightings!

Two more recent bear sightings! Saturday night, Walter and I were driving home from Ohiopyle, Pennsylvania. We’d been to see the boaters go over the falls, an annual event, and then we went on a twelve-mile bike ride on the trail along the river. We ate at The Lucky Dog Café. There were signs around the deck to not feed the dogs, and I was picturing little dogs begging at my feet. Wrong! Along came a Great Dane and two lab mixes, begging from table to table! The Dane could actually look down on the table!

Anyway, it got dark. There was no moon that night, and no stars because of heavy cloud cover. We were heading south on Rt. 219 at Keyser’s Ridge with our low beams on, and a car was approaching behind us. At the same moment, Walter and I noticed that parts of the white and yellow lines on the road were being blacked out by the shape of a running bear—a BIG, galloping bear! And the car behind us passed, just missing it, probably never seeing it. And we actually never saw it directly, only the absence of white and yellow. We were so relieved that it made it across.

Then Monday morning on my way to work on North Glade Road, between a corn field and a farmhouse, a bear cub walked into the road, stopped, watched my approaching car for a while with great curiosity, and then ran into the corn when I got close. I never saw the mother, but hopefully she was ahead of it in the corn.

1 comment:

  1. Well, before I married I was Shirley BAER. So you can say you had another baer sighting this week.

    SK

    ReplyDelete